Friday, March 04, 2005

Intimate Friends.

I met an old lover today,
Lyrics of Paul Simon
Sang in my head.
We sat,
Fully clothed,
In a pub,
Exchanging pleasantries.
Each holding eye contact
For a little longer than we should.
That look that you
only share with those who have
Seen you naked,
On hot sweaty nights,
And at your worse
With a hangover,
And bedhead,
In the morning.
Although no reminiscences were spoken,
We each replayed those memories,
Like old movies,
Through our heads,
And smiled our secret smiles.
News was caught up on,
And gossip on those we still have in common.
Time came for our goodbyes.
We walked outside,
Back into the world,
And reality.
Yet it did not seem
That either of us wanted it
To be the end.
It had started to rain,
He had walked there,
So it only seemed polite(and a good excuse)
To offer him a lift.
And a little more time
For words not to be spoken.
As he got out the car,
He leaned over and gave me a kiss,
Acceptable for friends,
But somehow not for an old lover.
He went his way,
Into his new life,
And me into mine.
But I know those films
Will play through my head,
At the dimming of the day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

*Sigh*
Yes.
I sometimes dream of returning to my last love, returning to him as a friend. But I seriously doubt I possess the discipline.
Some
loves
are
better
left.
For me at least.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home