Monday, August 08, 2005

Cures All

Today was the first.
The first morning I had woken
and you were not the first thing
on my mind.
Instead it felt like heard of elephants
were stomping all over
my mind.
Hangover of all mothers!
I rose gracefully. from my bed.
Well, alright, got up, staggered,
sat down again, and repeated until
I could stand up straight.
Stomped downstairs,
in time with the elephants,
reached for the paracetamol,
and a glass of water.
I read the instructions.
‘For mild to moderate pain, including,
headaches, backache, toothache etc.’
That’s when I thought of you.
I had hoped the list might include
heartache.
That taking 1 to 2 tablets,
every four hours,
might cure the ache,
the longing,
the loss.
I guess not.
So I took them anyway,
and went back upstairs to bed.
With the elephants keeping me company,
in my head.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hangover of all mothers - I liked that.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home